Thursday, December 17, 2015

Deep Sky Astrophotography

And so my journey into astrophotography continues with me wandering into different sites like this one. Amazed at the level of detail that can be captured merely using a tripod and inexpensive digital SLR camera, I tried my hand at various objects of the deep sky. One of the 1st things was to look toward the center of our galaxy in the direction of Sagittarius. Despite the light pollution, I could capture remarkable detail. Here below is the side-by-side picture comparison with Jerry Lodriguss' image of the same region.

Excited by the relative success of the simplicity of the approach, I decided to wait till the winter sky when Orion constellation would be high above the light polluted skies of Chennai.



Finally, after all the flooding damage and disruptions, got some clear skies.. last night (Dec. 17, 2015) I managed to take some pictures of the Great Orion Nebula. Here below is the cropped result of the region M42.
 Needless to say, I am impressed with the results.. It is a stack of 79 pictures of 2 sec. exposures @f5.6, ISO1600 zoomed in at about 120mm using a telephoto lens on Canon 350D (Rebel XT) and stacked using DeepSkyStacker.







And here is a full-frame with the belt of Orion clearly visible:
Belt-of-Orion, 135mm-79x2s-f5.6-ISO1600 (EOS 350D)
Prior to attempting to capture Orion, I attempted to capture Andromeda Galaxy - wasn't as great but on Oct 16, 2015, got a reasonably encouraging start..here is that image.
M31-Andromeda-200mm-12x4s-f5.6-ISO1600 (EOS 350D)

1 comment:

  1. Nice post and pictures Venkat... After the storm and rains , the sky has cleared a bit and I got a good view of Orion as well, the only constellation that I can identify :-)

    ReplyDelete